lunes, enero 31, 2005

Assorted stuff

My birthday came and went with little fanfare.

I went to my mom's house Saturday night for dinner, which was very yummy. I ate too much, but didn't really care. There weren't as many people there as I thought there would be. It was me, Julian, Enzo, my mom, my step-dad, my sister, and one of my nieces.

My mom made me a cake and I got to blow out candles. Enzo helped with this. Sometime in the last few months, he's finally mastered the art of blowing without spitting. After the cake, I opened my "gifts," which were: a book of inspirational quotes, a card and money from my sister; and a card and money from my mom. I got my gift from Julian before the actual event. It was some lingerie from Victoria's Secret that had been intended as a Christmas gift, but was on backorder at the time. So I got something different for Christmas and then this for my birthday. Had I known at the time that we ordered the stuff that I would be getting pregnant in roughly a week, I probably would have picked something different, but oh well, you know what they say about hindsight.

Anyway, I'm proud that we made it through the evening without bringing up the trip or the baby. I gave Julian the rules of engagement on the drive out: we weren't bringing up the move unless my mom did, and we weren't telling them about the baby yet. I don't know why I'm so afraid of telling my mom we're having another baby. I guess it's the response I got when I told her the first time. When I initially told her, she was so non-excited that it was scary. No congratulations, no rejoicing over being a grandmother again, just a question: can you afford this? I can understand why she was concerned. At the time I made the big announcement, we were in the midst of getting the INS paperwork done and Julian was not working. But still, can't you give me a minute of excitement/enjoyment before you bring up the obvious?

Sunday was another pretty boring day. My last Sunday off for a while. If I haven't mentioned it here, my schedule at work is changing again. I'm going to work all weekend and be off on Monday and Tuesday. So this week is still the "old" new schedule, but next weekend I'll work both days and then be off next Monday and Tuesday. The bright side is that I have 2 days off together. The not-so-bright side is that my days off and Julian's days off are not going to be the same anymore. So he'll be at home with Enzo on Saturday and Sunday while I'm at work, then I'll be home the next 2 days while he's at work and Enzo's at school. Blah.

About my activities, I got takeout Chinese for lunch. Not from the place who came to my workplace looking for me. And with cash. No more Chinese mafia stuff for me. I did laundry. I played that Pirates! game for hours. And that was basically it. What a life.