martes, marzo 01, 2005

Weirdos

Okay, so I didn't stay home today. Enzo and I went to have lunch with Julian today. We went to Arby's, where we were sitting in a booth near this guy who was sitting drinking out of a bottle in a paper bag. (Gee, I wonder what he had in there?) He wasn't eating anything when we went in, but while we were eating, he went and got a sandwich, moved to another table to eat, left his trash on that table and then moved back to the original booth.

I thought I smelled smoke, but I couldn't see anyone smoking, so I thought it was a couple who had just walked in and I was smelling it on their clothes or something. Wrong. It was the paper bag guy, just sitting there nonchalantly smoking a cigarette. In a non-smoking restaurant in the middle of the lunch rush. Odd.

Half of the diners seemed to be talking about him smoking. Loudly. He did nothing. Even better, the staff didn't do anything, but I don't know if anyone complained.

As a smoker, I understand having cravings and needs to smoke, but I'm also considerate enough that if I am in a non-smoking area or in the house of someone who doesn't smoke, I will excuse myself and go outside.

I guess my question about this guy is: was he too drunk or whatever to care what he was doing, not too drunk or whatever and didn't know better, or just disrespectful?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Guess this all depends on his appearance. Was he a homeless guy? was it cold outside? we prosecute people like this all the time & if they are notorious trespassers or known loonies, teh staff often leaves them be for fear of danger to the customers... sounds crazy, I know. . but true.

on the other hand - if this was a normal looking person, then I would have said something... or at least amde sure the manager did. then again - you never know what's gonna trigger someone off. . . maybe he was looking for some one to approach him. . . maybe not.

sorry, that didn't address your query, did it???

3/02/2005 05:48:00 a.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

He didn't look horribly bad, but he didn't look like he was out on his lunch break, either.

And it wasn't really cold, but cool.

This was the first time I've seen the guy in there and we eat there not all the time, but somewhat frequently since it's one of a couple of restaurants that are close enough to where Julian works to have lunch there.

I don't know. Just from the way he looked, I didn't feel comfortable approaching him about the smoking. I didn't know how he might react and I really didn't want to cause a big scene, especially with Enzo there.

3/02/2005 05:57:00 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home