jueves, febrero 10, 2005

My days are all messed up

since my "weekend" is on Monday and Tuesday. This doesn't feel like Thursday to me, since it's my second workday this week. I'm going to need some time to get used to this schedule.

A bit of news from the work front: today I was selected by my peers as "team captain." It doesn't mean a whole lot in the big scheme of things. A meaningless title I can put on my CV. A little extra work and no extra pay. But it did feel nice to know that my co-workers think that highly of me and my knowledge.

In other work news, I'm getting myself out of the attendance hole. I don't think I mentioned all this before. My department functions on an "occurrence" basis as far as attendance is concerned. Absences and tardies are assigned a full or partial occurence based on the amount of time you're late or leave early, up to one full occurrence per day missed. One is supposed to be notified by ones supervisor each time an occurrence is issued, and when one reaches 6 occurrences, will receive a written warning. Note the emphasis on supposed. I'll admit, I've had some issues with tardiness. That doesn't excuse what my supervisor did to me. Back in November, I got a written warning about my tardiness. At that time, I was advised that I had 4.25 occurrences, an okay number, since it takes 10 to be terminated. That is the last time until 17 January that I was advised of receiving an occurrence or the number I had accumulated. I moved to a new team in January and got a new supervisor. It was on my first official day on the team of this new supervisor that I was advised that I have 9.5 occurrences and was going to receive a final written warning about my tardiness. And oh, by the way, you're one absence away from termination. It turns out that my previous supervisor had miscalculated my occurrences in November and that instead of having only 4.25, I actually had 7.25. Super! So, anyway...the attendance policy also gives one the opportunity to "win-back" 1 occurrence with 30 days of perfect attendance, no absences, no tardies. My 30 days will end on 13 February. If I can make it to work on time tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday I'll have one occurrence subtracted from my total. I'm almost there.

I got a big packet from my insurance company earlier in the week with a bunch of pregnancy literature, including a free copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting. I now own all 3 editions. That was a pretty neat surprise. I go to the doctor next Wednesday for my first prenatal visit.

We're in the final stages of getting my husband's book ready to shop around to agents. I've enjoyed reading it over the last year. I would tell you about it, but he's been kind of weird about me blogging his book, afraid someone's going to steal his idea or something. As soon as I can get his permission to share, I will.

We're still working on the move to Buenos Aires. I'm more overwhelmed than ever, since the plan is now to move prior to the birth of baby 2. That's pushing my move date up by about 4 months. I really need to get cracking if I'm going to make this happen.