miércoles, diciembre 29, 2004

My afternoon trip with Enzo

I picked Enzo up a little early today. I went out to Barnes & Noble to check out their selection of Argentina/Buenos Aires travel guides. Nothing worth bringing home. I then wandered across the store to look at the foreign language section, to see about getting something to help me with my Spanish. On the way back, I passed the "libros en español" section. I was mesmerized. I've been thinking about getting a/some book/s in Spanish to help me learn and here I was confronted by a pretty good selection to choose from. Heaven! So I called Julian and asked if he had any recommendations for me. No, he says. So I ask about Borges. He says that's too deep for me. That I'd probably like it, but I need to read it in English first. "But that doesn't help me choose a book in Spanish NOW." So I browsed around for a bit and selected a book. I chose Cien Años de Soledad by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I read the back cover, decided this was the one I wanted. Then I flipped through the book and noticed that nearly every page was foot-noted. I decided this was a little too much for me, at my beginner/intermediate level of Spanish. I ended up coming home with The Hobbit -- in English. I'm going to look online for a libro en español, and I've also enlisted Julian's help. But if anyone has any ideas for a good book in Spanish that's a fairly easy and straightforward read, I'm all ears!

After the bookstore, we went to the River Market area downtown. Enzo loves walking around there because of all the neat things to see. And I had my camera, so here are some more photos.

This is the River Market building. There are food stands inside where you can get a quick breakfast or lunch. I don't think they're open for dinner. Lots of variety. Mexican, Asian, barbecue (BBQ!), just about anything you might want they probably have. Each stand is independently operated, and most are run as extensions of local restaurants. Behind the building is a large pavillion where a farmer's market is held on Tuesdays and Saturdays during the warmer months. The family of one of my high school friends has a farm and they set up at the market. Great asian veggies and herbs!



Here's one of the crosswalks in the area. The first time I saw this, I was a little...shall we say inebriated...and I thought that there was a malfunction. I guess it's supposed to represent the river.



This is a building a couple of blocks from the River Market. It began its life as the Tuf Nut blue jean factory, and was renovated a few years ago and is now lofts, with some retail space. I like the neon Tuf Nut sign.



A decorative window grate on one of the shops.



This is the side of a gift shop next to the market. The sign says "Come set a spell ya'll." Classic Arkansan.



The River Market area is also home to several restaurants and bars.

I didn't take any pictures of it but one that's more upscale is Sonny Williams. It's a steakhouse and piano bar. It's easy to spend well over $100 for dinner for 2 with wine.

Most of the others are a little more down-to-earth (read: affordable).

There's the Flying Saucer, again, not pictured here. I spent way too much time in this place when I was single.

There's also the Underground Pub. Fun to play darts here, and yummy fish and chips. I understand that a recent addition is free wi-fi access.




A newer addition is Boscos. I haven't been here since they opened. It's in a location that in the past has experienced high turnover. I've been in the physical space where the restaurant is located, but it was a different place at the time and there was a guy playing Jimmy Buffet covers and blowing kisses at me. I think that was too much information. Moving along...

Sticky Fingerz Rock-n-Roll Chicken Shack. Bar with live music.



There's also the Flying Fish. It's owned by the Flying Saucer people, and is more of a restaurant than a bar. As the name suggests, their specialty is seafood.



The outside of their building is decorated with outboard boat motors.



And our trip is wrapped up with another photo of the "Big Eagle" at Enzo's request.



Oh, and last but not least -- it's Enzo!

1 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

I don't remember seeing that one, but I did see another of his books, Santa Evita, and pondered buying it. Part of the reason I didn't was the cost - $14. I know that's not a lot, less than a standard hardback. But for something I don't know if I'll be able to successfully read or like, it seemed like a bit much. However, I found it in the Amazon marketplace for $0.79 new, plus $3.50 shipping. I think I can do that.

12/30/2004 10:03:00 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home