miércoles, diciembre 29, 2004

After failing miserably

on my Art Deco quest, I decided to seek solace at the cemetery. Mount Holly Cemetery.

You know you're in an old place when there's a sign like this:


Here's the map from inside their brochure:



The numbers on the map correspond with burial locations of notable Arkansans. These are listed elsewhere in the brochure.

An example: #72 is W.B. Worthen, an early banker.
He got an obelisk.



Here are my other photos from my excursion:

The fountain, dry for the winter...



Inscription on this tombstone reads:
SALOME DEXTER
Wife of Rev. Geo Pierson
Misshionary to the Choctaw Indians
Died
Sept. 24, 1852
Aged
21 years



The Watkins memorial:



And finally, the public mausoleum. I like the glass work. From a distance, I thought those wreaths were hanging as decoration, but they're actually part of the glass on the doors. Neat. The doors were open, but I didn't go inside. Partly because I was alone and all the scary movies I've seen with people getting trapped in places like that, partly because of respect for those interred inside, partly because I was getting some weird vibes like I wasn't welcome there.



My camera stopped working. The last photo I tried to take turned out entirely white. I also saw figures of people down one of the cemetary lanes. It's been said for a long time that this cemetery is haunted, and after what I saw and how I felt today while I was there, I believe it.

After the feeling at the mausoleum and the white photo, I decided not to press my luck and promptly exited the cemetery.

1 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

There was a vehicle parked by the Sexton house, but I didn't see anyone else...alive, that is.

12/29/2004 04:18:00 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home