miércoles, diciembre 29, 2004

I went on a mission

To find and photograph Art Deco buildings in Little Rock. Ha. I was disappointed, but I promised I'd post the pictures. So without further adieu...

First up is the Nelson Auto Company - Southside Garage.
It was built around 1911 as a garage serving the early automobile owners of the neighbourhood. The building was also used as an auto painting company, a bakery, an electrical supply store, and an auto glass company, before being rehabilitated into loft-style apartments in 2000.
All of the historical design elements, including the brickwork and the original industrial windows, have been maintained. The original service bay openings have been fitted with windows that match the design of the original building's garage doors.



My next example is the former Samuel P. Taylor Service Station.
It was built in 1938. It no longer sells gas, and has functioned as an office building as long as I can remember.



This one doesn't really count as deco, but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure.
It's the Arkansas Arts Center. When I lived in the apartment whose photo I posted yesterday, we were only about 2 blocks away from the AAC. I love the front of the building, and it's really nice when they have the fountain on.