martes, noviembre 16, 2004

Babies

I've been thinking lately about whether I'd like to have another child. There's a part of me that wants to, the mommy part with the biological clock ticking away incessantly in the background. On the other hand, my practical side says that we should stop at one, that money is tight enough already without adding another mouth to feed and another bottom to diaper.

I've asked my husband and the answer I've received is that he doesn't know right now. This is not a decision that I can make alone. I don't want to decide to have another child and feel that I'm forcing him to go along with the plan and be miserable. I also don't want to not have another child and regret it later.

I would like for Enzo to have a brother or sister with whom he can play and develop (hopefully) a friendship. I just don't know if our existing family is ready to accommodate that at the present time and I'm afraid that if we wait until we are ready, that it'll be too late.

I suppose that being an only child isn't the end of the world. Julian is an only child. My sister and I were spaced far enough apart that we were practically raised as only children; the year I started kindergarten, she got married. It's kind of nice getting all the attention from your parents.

This is something that is definitely going to require more thought on my part.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

It sounds like you may have caught my baby bug! ;) LOL.

It is a difficult decision, and I suspect even more difficult for a married couple as you need to come to an agreement with both of your family building desires...

For me, I have always said I did not want one child. I was a lonely child (oops...should that have said only?). I don't know whether I will give birth to two children, will depend on whether I can even get pregnant for the first time!, but I would still like two children (or more if I were married...)

Good luck working through this! :)

11/16/2004 06:30:00 p.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

The funny thing about all this is that after we got married, we had a talk about our future plans, including whether we wanted children. At that time, the plan did not include children.

Enzo was definitely a surprise. At the time that I got pregnant, we were living in a one bedroom apartment downtown and we had one vehicle (which was a two-seater). We were also still waiting on my husband's work authorization to process through the INS, so he was not working.

Things are better now. We moved to a larger (2 bedroom and 2 bathroom) apartment in more of a residential area. I now drive a mommy car -- with 4 doors! We're both working. Julian is now a legal resident with his green card. Talk about timing -- we were contacted by the INS for our interview for his paperwork to be completed when I was pregnant. So with about 3 weeks until my due date, we headed to Memphis in our new car.

If we do have another child, I'd like to wait at least a year before even becoming pregnant. I'm training for the Little Rock marathon in March, and I'd like to also run the Buenos Aires marathon in October.

I don't know about all this. Inside, I think I already know the answer is going to be no, but we'll see.

11/16/2004 06:57:00 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home