lunes, marzo 21, 2005

I can't seem to win

My rash is going away. Score one for Carrie. However, for the last 3 days, I haven't been feeling well.

I'm not sure if it's just allergies because of everything blooming around here or if I'm actually sick. Either way, there's not a whole lot I can do. I have saline nose drops and I can take Benadryl sparingly. I felt a little warm yesterday, but my temperature was only 99F. No actual fever, just a little higher than usual. I hate to go to the doctor and pay the money only to be told that there's nothing that can be done.

This brings me to one of my pet peeves: people who go to the doctor and practically demand antibiotics. My mother is one of these people. She thinks that if she goes to the doctor for some type of illness, she needs antibiotics. She even did that with me when I was younger. There are some things that antibiotics will not help. I've tried to explain this to her, that if the doctor prescribes antibiotics because she wants him/her to, the doctor is doing her no favours and is contributing to the trend of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Blah.

I've been thinking about what I want to do with the rest of my life, career-wise. If I remain in my current field, telecommunication, I would like to either get a supervisory position or an analyst position. But what I really want to do is go back to school -- med school in particular. I entered college 10 years ago with the intent of becoming a MD. Things got a little off track, and I've been telling myself that I would continue my education once Enzo started school. But that's 2 years off, and now I have another little one on the way and am moving to a country where even if I wanted to attend school, my fluency in the language (at least at the moment) would not allow it. I'm sure everything will work out in the end.