lunes, enero 10, 2005

A pretty boring day at work

The highlight of my day was moving to a new desk. Part of all the changes at work have included differentiation between people who answer incoming calls and people who work on tickets. We've been assigned to different supervisory teams based on our function and moved to be with the others on our team and who are doing the same thing we are.

So I lost my desk that was near the windows overlooking the river and moved into a desk/cubelet that's more in the middle of the floor, so that I no longer have a direct view of the outdoors. I am, however, sitting near some of my coworkers with whom I have worked for over 12 months and never really had an opportunity to know, so that's a good thing. I'm also sitting beside a new guy and today was quite the question and answer segment between us. What do I do when...? How do I...? It was nice to impart some of my wisdom to a neophyte.

The other upside to all these changes is that I am no longer going to be answering inbound calls. Woo-hoo! If you've never worked in a call center, I can't begin to describe it. For one thing, you're basically bound to the phone. Schedules, breaks, lunches, meetings, and anything else is dictated by call volume or forecasted call volume. The other thing, and perhaps my biggest problem is not knowing what the next call will bring. It could be another employee calling to check on something. It could be an external caller just checking on something. It could be an external caller who's upset about something and feels the intense need to use every curse word ever invented at the loudest volume they can manage. I've developed a pretty thick skin over the last few years. I've been taking inbound calls in one form or another since 2000.

1 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Oh wow, an actual handset? I wear a headset at work, so throwing that down on the desk isn't nearly as fulfilling.

After the birth of Enzo, I went through some pretty nasty postpartum depression and was on Zoloft for a while. That made work much, much easier.

All in all, I like my company, just not answering phones all day. It gets old. There's a lady I work with who's been doing it for over 7 years. I'm surprised she hasn't had a nervous breakdown yet.

1/11/2005 08:21:00 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home