domingo, enero 09, 2005

An afternoon out and about

I went out this afternoon with the intention of going to a local lock and dam that has an observation deck to look at the river, since it's a little high. Those plans were shot down when I reached the entrance and it was barricaded off for construction. I went to Riverfront Park instead and Enzo accompanied me.

We first made the requisite stop at the big eagle statue. I have more photos of this than anything else because Enzo insists that I take multiple pictures every time we see it, and insists that we stop to see it anytime we're near.



Our next stop was at the tractor that's outside of the children's museum -- The Museum of Discovery.



We walked on down through the River Market, past the River Market Pig,



past the Casa Mañana Taqueria



to get to Riverfront Park.

Once there we saw the dirty fountain. By the way, when this is cleaned up in the spring and summer it's really pretty. There are also stepping stones where you can walk over the middle pool by where the water cascades down from the top. You get a little wet from the spray, and I enjoyed this immensely when I was younger.



Our next stop was the belvedere, which sits pretty close to the riverbank and gives a nice view of the river.



Then we headed down behind the Peabody for some more viewing.

Those ducks on the top of the Peabody are lit in red neon at night and they light up consecutively. I tried to get a photo of that the night of the Christmas banquet, but my camera performs poorly in low light.



Here's the fountain behind the Peabody.



And a planter. Is it me or is this cabbage?



And finally, the reason I came out in the first place: to see how high the river was. The posts sticking out of the water along the riverbank are actually part of a railing, and have rope strung between them. That's how high the river is. The walkway is submerged along with most of the railing.

1 Comments:

Blogger JamDaddy said...

Sounds and looks like you had a great day out. Guess being a camera nerd pays off. Bet Enzo loves being out with Mommy.

1/09/2005 10:06:00 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home