martes, enero 11, 2005

Going home, but not really

I took a little time today and visited my alma mater, Hendrix College. It has changed so much since I was there. I was blown away. As the title indicates, it was kind of like going home, but it was so different that parts of the campus were unrecognizable. There are several new buildings both for classes/offices and housing.

First, the old standbys:

Trieschmann Fine Arts - where I took all my music classes, had my private music lessons, gave my recitals, and met with my advisor.



Trieschmann again, there are large windows like this on each side of the building, just out of the bounds of the previous photo. Behind these windows is the choir room, where my music history class also met.



Detail of the front of the building.



Ashtray.



Next we come to Buhler Hall, one of the science buildings. This is where all my biology classes met. I love the ivy.



Now we come to Greene Chapel and Staples Auditorium. The fountain is a new addition. There was a fountain when I was there, but it was to the right. I remember people constantly putting stuff in it. Dye, soap, you name it. It was usually coloured for the holidays, but not by the college itself.



Stained glass on the chapel.





To the right of the new fountain, is another kind of natural fountain, with water cascading over rocks into a pool.





This overlooks a large open area with benches. It's nice to sit out here in the Spring and Fall.



The area is "paved" with crushed pecan shells.



And finally, no visit would be complete without the Daihatsu. The grounds crew uses these. As a student, I hatched plans in my dorm room to commandeer one of these. I think most students did at some point in their careers at Hendrix.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Looks beautiful and peaceful. I have noticed this about American universities..they look quite a bit nicer than Canadian ones in my opinion. Except perhaps McGill..that Canadian university has a pretty nice campus too.:)

1/11/2005 09:04:00 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home