domingo, noviembre 07, 2004

Siblings

I was just commenting on a previous post and I started thinking about my sister and myself, and how different we are. For one thing, we're 13 years apart. I think not being born in the same decade has affected us in many ways.

Some of our differences include:
  • Political affiliation/ideology. (She's a pretty conservative Republican, I'm a pretty liberal Democratic-leaning independent)
  • Religion. (She is Protestant and goes to church nearly every Sunday. In fact, she drives quite a distance to attend church, when there are other churches of the same denomination closer to her. I am, well, agnostic. I consider myself Wiccan. Of all the religions I've tried in my life, this seems to be the best fit for me.)
  • Choice of where to live. (Since she got married, she hasn't lived more than 10 miles from either our parents or her husband's parents. When I got married, I moved into town, about 25 miles away. I really dream of moving away, either out of state or out of country.)
It's sometimes hard for me to believe that we share the same genes. When I was talking about marrying my husband, my family called a meeting and she said that if I married him, we wouldn't have white children. My husband is basically European, by way of Argentina. His father's family comes from Italy, and his mother's family is from Spain. You've seen the photos of our son. Does he look non-white to you?

Don't get me wrong, I love my sister. We're family and nothing will change that. But we're not as close as we could be because of being at totally different places in our lives. Her oldest daughter is graduating from high school in less than a year. I'm trying to potty-train my son.

2 Comments:

Blogger JamDaddy said...

Your son is white? Whoops, I thought he looked American. To bad, and you seemed like such good people, lol. I am guessing since she is conservative she has the brains, therefore you have the looks.

My brother and I are only 3 years apart and we are very different. He lives by Mom and Dad and I have lived all over the East Coast. Of course we are both smart conservatives and share our good looks.

I really can't believe the family had a meeting about you and hubby. Jeez!

11/07/2004 07:43:00 p.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. Maybe it's not the age difference after all, just that we have different outlooks.

I've always been more adventurous, ready to try anything once, if it's really dangerous, maybe twice. :)

She lived a little more sheltered life than I did. My father was a VERY overprotective father, and had set all kinds of rules(many that seemed arbitrary to me, but I followed them). For most of these, 16 was the magic age. It was at that age that one could: get one's ears pierced, wear makeup, start dating, and drive. Also...no summer camps, private Christian school, no parties... So, my sister grew up under the regime of dad. He passed away when I was 8, leaving just me and my mom. My mom was a lot more lenient than my dad was. I think that my sister is a little envious of me for the fact that mom appreciated my individuality more and allowed me more freedom, but still maintained control. I really appreciated that about my upbringing. My mom trusted me and treated me basically as an adult. I never gave her any reason not to trust me. I was a good kid growing up.

Maybe that's where some of the differences come from. We were practically raised by 2 different families.

11/08/2004 05:37:00 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home