miércoles, septiembre 15, 2004

Insurance fiasco continued

Have I mentioned that I hate insurance right now?

The health insurance issue comes after the car insurance fiasco where I got dropped by the company who had provided my car insurance for 13 years because my husband doesn't have a driver's license. He doesn't drive, and doesn't want a license. We got screwed over by the insurance company on that too. We got a letter 3 months before the expiration of the policy notifying us that they would not renew it. Called the agent and he said that the main reason was because of the hubby. I asked if he gets a license, would we be able to keep the insurance. He said that he didn't know, couldn't answer, it's up to the company. I called the guy whose name and number were on the letter, who is at the corporate HQ. I asked him the same question. He said that he thought that it wouldn't be a problem, but he really couldn't answer it definitely, because the final decision would be up to the agent, whether or not they wanted to write the policy. So at this point, agent says the HQ decides. HQ says the agent decides. Called the agent back, he again says that it's not his decision. Gives a different number to call. Get the runaround like this for over a month. Finally in frustration call the agent back and ask who I need to talk to. That I would like to keep the same insurance and what I need to do to make that happen. If my husband gets a license, can we keep the insurance? Finally, he says that he is the one who would make that decision. That if my husband has a license that we can keep insurance, but so close to the policy expiration date, he won't authorize it if he doesn't already have the license and that we should have thought about that earlier. So if I had got a straight answer from the beginning, I could have kept the insurance because we would have had time to get his license. I'm now with another company, paying $100 more a month. Clean driving record, too.