viernes, agosto 20, 2004

Arrgh!

Last night was yucky. I watched the Olympics, and was waiting for the evening news to come on when the lights flickered off and on about 4 times before finally going out. It was about 11 pm. I had no idea when the power would be back on, and my shift at work starts at 7 am. I decided I would stay up until the power came back on. My husband went to bed around 11:30 or so and opened the sliding door in our bedroom so it wouldn't get too hot inside. I headed to the living room with a book and some candles. I called the electric company to report the outage and they said at the time that power should be restored by 3 am. I'm cool with that. I can do 3 am. Around 12:30, the lights flickered back on and off a couple of times but stayed off. I called the electric company again around 2. At this time, the recording had changed and they were saying power would be restored by 4. I couldn't do 4 am, so I headed to bed. I did everything I could to try to make sure I would wake up this morning on time. This morning around 5, a thunderstorm came through. The thunder, rain, and wind blowing woke me up and I got up to close the door. While I was up, the lights came back on. I went around the house and turned all the lights off and reset the clocks. I went back to bed, since I still had another 45 minutes I could sleep. Then driving to work, there was a tree down across our road that I had to avoid. The roads were wet, which kind of spooks me now after I had an accident in April on wet roads from losing traction on my back tires, so I took it slower than usual. It didn't help that I had a police car behind me, either. On my way to daycare, I discovered why our power was out. There was a truck that had wrapped around a pole. I saw the truck on a flatbed tow truck and it was a mess. The tailgate and the headlights were both facing in the same direction. Not pretty. There was also one lane of the road blocked off and there were several electric company trucks out repairing the lines. Plus, school in our area started this week, and I have to pass through a school zone with a 25 mph speed limit not once but twice. I ended up being late for work this morning. Definitely not the way I had hoped to end the workweek.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

Imagine my shock at finding a comment! On my pathetic "blog!" Oh, the joy of it all.

Well, yes, I go to Hendrix. It's fun, but there have been so many changes for the worse in the two years I've been here. The business types have totally taken over the college and it's lost much of the leftist/hippy/relaxed -ness that I thought made it desirable.

Anyway, I noticed that you have an Argentina fascination, as do I. Hopefully I'll been going to live/study abroad in BsAs during 2005.

Later,

Nater

8/20/2004 10:12:00 a.m.  
Blogger Nathan said...

Sorry. My previous comment had nothing to do with the post, but I din't know how to respond to a comment.

I'll leave now.

8/20/2004 10:13:00 a.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

I guess you could say I have an Argentina fascination. That's where my husband is from. He's been going through a bit of culture shock over the last 5 years, moving from Bs As to Little Rock. His neighbourhood was bigger than the entire population here.

8/20/2004 01:31:00 p.m.  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

Once you realize your gonna be late you gotta just go with it. Boss should understand, well unless you work at Pizza Hut and then ya gotta get the morning dough going. Have a Great Weekend!

8/20/2004 06:11:00 p.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

I wish it were that easy. I work for a telecommunications company (we offer wireless, wireline, internet, and long distance, but will remain unnamed to protect the innocent). The majority of employees have some flexibility with their schedule, and so if were late, could just stay late to make it up and as long as the work got done no one would say anything. My department is another story. We are somewhat of an off-shoot of customer service, and therefore follow most of the same rules as customer service. One of these rules is regarding attendance. It's said that since we are logged into a queue to take inbound calls, that we must be on time or our customers will suffer, etc. So, our attendance is monitored based on when we log on to the phone. We have a 3 minute grace period in the morning and in the afternoon at the end of your shift, but if one is 4-120 minutes late or leave early by that same interval, you get 0.25 of an "occurrence". If you're more than 2 hours late, or leave more than 2 hours early, it's 0.5 "occurrence." And if you're totally absent, it's a full "occurence." Once you get to 7 of these, you can be terminated.

8/22/2004 07:42:00 a.m.  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

Customer Service for the Phone Company. Oh the joy! Now I can really relate to you, twins? Hehehe. Anyway, I was a Customer Rep. for one of the telecom companies back in 1985/86. I totally hated logging in, logging out, and all that crap. We even had to log out for lunch and bathroom breaks. Thank goodness that life is now over for me. I feel your pain.

8/23/2004 10:31:00 a.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

Logging in, logging out -- that's what I specialize in. I log in when my shift starts, out for 2 15 minute breaks, out for lunch, and then out again when it's time to go home.

8/24/2004 05:44:00 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home