sábado, octubre 23, 2004

I volunteered today at the Mud Run



I got up this morning at my usual time (5:30) and headed out to Two Rivers Park for my volunteer duties. I got there a little after 6. It was still dark out. I got assigned to food duties initially. So there I was in the dark, moving tents, moving tables, moving food, and later cutting the food. There were lots of bagels and oranges that needed to be cut.

At starting time, I moved out to my place on the course for work as a split timer/course marshall. It was pretty fun. This is more like a cross-country race. It starts on the road and then weaves its way through some fields/gardens before ending at the MUD PIT. I was stationed at one of the turns to direct traffic down the correct garden path. I was somewhere between 1.5/2 miles, so not many asked for split times, but I was cheering everyone on and letting them know they were halfway there.

There were lots of people who dressed in costume. There was a lady in a pumpkin suit handing out candy to the volunteers. I also saw a guy dressed as a bunch of grapes, with purple balloons attached all over his shirt and shorts. Then there were some ladies who were his shriveled counterparts, the raisins, with black hats, trash bags and black tights. There were some ladies in tiaras and tutus over their running gear. A few togas, and also some rednecks for good measure.

I stayed around for some of the awards, but by this time, it was almost 10 and I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos. I got two free pizzas and came home and took a Benadryl and crashed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

A Benadryl? uhoh..are you getting sick?:(

It's great that you found a way to be involved in the run without getting muddy...I am sure they appreciated it!:)

So when is your next run?

10/24/2004 08:32:00 p.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

No, not getting sick. I took the Benadryl because of my 10-gazillion mosquito bites. I'm allergic to those little buggers, so basically every exposed part of me was full of nice red bumps where I had been bitten. The bites are a lot better now, but I lost most of yesterday because of the drugs. I got home, ate some pizza, took my Benadryl and went to sleep. I didn't wake up until about 4 pm! I then went grocery shopping, came home and made dinner, ate, and went to bed shortly thereafter.

My next race is the Presidential 5K Fun Run, which is in its inaugural year. It kicks off the week of festivities surrounding the opening of the Clinton Presidential Library here. That's on 13 November. It looks to be a pretty fast course. I hope to get some pre- and post-race pictures to share with everyone.

10/24/2004 08:48:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

sorry to post anon but i was in one of the toga's-the green plaid one. in fact our entire running group ( Little Rock Hash House Harriers) wore toga's. were you the really really chipper one? thank you for the encouragement. if you like running but have a great sense of humor you should join us. www.lrhash.com we will be doing the presidential run as well..but i think we are all wearing blue dresses.....

10/25/2004 05:50:00 a.m.  
Blogger JamDaddy said...

Presidential runs, what a great idea. Are they themed? Like the Pres. Ford run means you have things to trip over, the Carter run means you have to run through peanut butter. Of course I know where you are at the Pres. Clinton run you have to go fast because he will be after you and all the people in blue dresses. Dare you to tie a Big Mac to your butt as incentive, lol.

Have fun!

10/25/2004 09:33:00 p.m.  
Blogger carrie said...

I'm glad you enjoy it!

10/28/2004 08:11:00 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home