viernes, julio 30, 2004

99% Humidity -- Yuck!

I just looked at my Weather Channel info and it's 26C, feels like 29C, hazy with 99% humidity. I will definitely agree with that. I took Julian to work this morning and when I stepped out the front door, it felt like walking into a bathroom where someone has just finished showering. There was a fog over the city, unable to see the tops of the tall buildings (all 4 of them), just generally nasty. It rained last night as I was wrapping up the book editing. I think it's supposed to rain more today and then clear up tomorrow.

Oh, last night, I was cruising through the book editing, I did ~50 pages or so, and it had been a while since I last saved. So, I click the disk icon. Word goes through the motions like it's saving, and then I notice a little progress bar at the bottom of the screen, that stopped one increment shy of complete. Then I notice at the top of the screen it has my document name and then the 2 words I hate to see: (Not Responding). I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL out of it. All the work I had done since my last save was gone! I ended up staying up about 30 minutes later than I meant to, in my recovery effort. I was able to locate an autosave copy that had saved about 2 minutes before my botched save attempt. All is well. I'm a happy editor for the moment.

Today, my nieces are going to come visit me. They don't live very far from me, around 30 miles or so, but we hardly see each other. The last time I saw them was my son's birthday party, which was held the weekend after Easter.  Today is going to be a busy day, I think. I'm going to finish this post, work on the book some, and unload and reload the dishwasher. I've already carried out 4 bags of trash this morning. I'm also going to meet my husband for lunch today, pick up the kiddo from school, entertain my family, and then go back to pick up my husband after work. Oh, and I also need to do some laundry along with all that other stuff.

It's kind of sad that my vacation is coming to an end. I have today, Saturday and Sunday and then it's back to the grind. There's a part of me that would like to stay home with my son and be a mommy, but I think in the end that would drive me nuts. I think the only reason I haven't gone stir crazy this week is because I had so much that needed to be done. I painted 2 rooms, hung wallpaper borders in both rooms. I spent a day out with my son, at the zoo and also at my mother's house. I've cleaned. I've rearranged the furniture slightly in our living room. I made banana ice cream and chocolate chip walnut cookies. I think my work here is nearly done. It's time to go back to the office.